Pupils and staff returned to Oxford High School on Monday, two months after gunfire claimed the lives of four teenagers.
It is the first time the vast majority of students have been in the building since a 15-year-old student allegedly shot and killed four classmates and injured seven others.
Oxford High School students had been attending classes in other buildings since January 10. Everything “went very well” on Monday morning as staff and students returned for the first time since the Nov. 30 shooting, Oxford Community Schools spokeswoman Dani Stublensky said.
Workers repaired the damage caused by the dozens of bullets fired, removed a makeshift memorial and repainted the hallways in soothing colors.
Authorities have posted counselors, therapy dogs and private security on site.
In a video message, Oxford High principal Steven Wolf calls it ‘recovering’ the school
“We have been through so much to get to this moment. We cried together, we prayed together, we attended funerals, wakes and memorials and were heartbroken. And we were angry,” Wolf said in the video. “Still, we’re determined to keep going… And we’re recuperating back to high school.”
School officials still face a civil lawsuit accusing them of not doing enough to protect students before last November’s shooting.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.